Sunday 30 November 2014

Lazy Sunday


Evening sky above my razor-wire
It has been a quiet week for me in Daloa.  I had no trips and no major projects at camp, just general housekeeping.

There was some Ferguson-style unrest in Odiénné, (a city in the north that I first visited a couple of weeks back - famous for its honey) after a young man died in police custody.  Our plumber stationed at the camp there lives in town and was pretty nervous for a couple of nights, but things calmed down after a government minister from the area made a special visit and apologized to the young man's family.

My weekend was uneventful too, mostly spent in the house catching up on emails and practicing the banjo.  I have made slow but steady musical progress: I can play about 5 songs poorly now - when I got here it was only 2.  I never heard of most of them before buying Banjo for Dummies, so I haven't really learned songs for everyone to sing along to yet.  The one exception is  "You Are My Sunshine" which I have been picking out with some help from the internet and, thankfully, is a really easy song.  My goal is to work up to Kermit the Frog's "Rainbow Connection", but that's still a ways away.

This evening I went out for a drive around 5pm.  It seemed like everyone was out enjoying the evening sun.  There was a soccer game on at just about every yard and vacant lot.  Everyone seemed to be in a good mood.  It was Daloa at its most relaxed, friendly and inviting.  It's not much of a cultural center, but the city has a lot of charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment