Sunday 19 October 2014

R&R - Zanzibar

A dhow on the Indian Ocean
Another eight weeks of work have passed, and that means R&R again.  Woohoo!

About 36 hours later than expected, thanks to an 8 hour flight delay and associated missed connecting flight and unexpected overnight in Dar es Salaam, and all the fun of traveling from West Africa during the Ebola epidemic, I made it to Zanzibar.

It's one of those names that seems straight out of the Arabian Nights, with sultans and everything.  The Spice Islands, in the Indian Ocean.  The kind of place I'd always heard about and always wanted to go.

By the time I arrived I was tired and dirty.  The ferry ride was freezing and not all that scenic, partly because it wasn't that easy to see the windows and partly because it was cloudy out and the sky and sea all kind of blended into a uniform light grey.  I wasn't feeling all that enthusiastic.


Once I finally made it though, I loved it.  It is much bigger than I realized, with an actual city - Stone Town - with an active local life.  There are tons of touristy things around, shops and tour companies and stuff like that, but also schools and shops and a market, and even a weightlifting association.  The old town is a warren of narrow streets, mostly not wide enough for a car, but full of people and everyone was really warm and welcoming - even the ones not actively trying to sell you anything.

Because of all the delays getting there I only got to stay 2 days, and I almost didn't bother making the trip from Dar es Salaam, but I'm really glad I did, and I hope I get to go back.
These boats could have been in Pirates of the Caribbean 
Palace of Wonder - not a bad name!





2 comments:

  1. Your post makes me dream, Anne Amanda. Thank you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got your r&r despite all the delays! <3

    ReplyDelete