Sunday 13 July 2014

Firsts

This is it, my first blog posting, first full month in Cote d'Ivoire, first weekend in my new house in Daloa, first peacekeeping mission, first time working with the military (not as organized as I expected!), first time doing water treatment, not just wastewater, and first time actually responsible for the water quality, not just the design (stress!).

I had never been in a country emerging from war before, and before arrival I had to do an online security training course.  It included tips on what to do when you find yourself in a minefield, or being shot at.  I was pretty apprehensive and you can imagine my reaction when they said I would be driving on my own between cities to the different camps.  But in fact the security situation is not a problem.  Staff who were here during la crise had a rough time, but now things are stable, and I was very happy to hear there aren't any land mines.  We drive around in our loudly labelled UN SUVs and trucks without any trouble.  

I'm getting the hang of it, little by little.  Last week I took my first trip on my own, driving home from the port of San Pedro, about 4 hours away under normal conditions.  But it's rainy season and one section of the road was half washed away.  It was all under control, the military was directing traffic, but it took a long time to get through.  I was prepared, and had lots of water and some snacks with me.   


All that water caught up with me later on, though, and I took a little side road into a cacao plantation to relieve myself discretely.  Mission accomplished, I tried to turn the car around but the ground off the path was very soft and I sank right in, up to the axle.  I was just getting ready to radio for a rescue (first time driving around in cars with CB radios) when a couple of young men came by and started to help dig me out.  About an hour later, and with the help of 3 more of their friends, I was back on the road.  The trip took about 7 hours, all told.  It seems that I'm not going to encounter "normal conditions" often here.

I'm looking forward to the other firsts that will come along in my next months in the region.  I'll do my best to keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. AA, thanks for the post. So interested in what you are doing. Stay safe. Much love, - B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betsy! It has been quite a trip so far!

    ReplyDelete